Sunday, June 12, 2005

I'll kick you ass!

[NASTY WORD] YOU!
By Joseph Walther



“You’re a [NASTY WORD]!” “Oh yeah, you’re a [EVEN NASTIER WORDS]!” Such was the language emanating from the mouths of two 14-year olds of the male persuasion. They were on the verge of physically attacking each other. This took place outside of a convenience store. I am guessing the ages but they were riding dirt bikes and had the look of early hormonal rupture, including pimply faces. What was the provocation for such verbal and, imminent physical abuse? They were disagreeing over the war in Iraq.

I put myself between the two boys because I saw the clerk inside the store pick up the phone. I was sure that he was calling the police. He would have been within his rights to do so. On the other hand, these two kids were probably echoing what they had been hearing at home.

The former was convinced that America is saving the world by getting rid of Saddam Hussein. The latter was just as convinced that America should have stayed out of it. “You liberal [NASTY WORDS]”, yelled the first kid! “[NASTY WORD] YOU”, retorted the other kid! “Take it easy”, I told the two of them. “The only thing you two are going to accomplish is receiving a free ride to police headquarters”, I continued.

The two of them left on their bikes. They may have gone elsewhere to duke it out for all I know. As they disappeared around the corner, a police squad car pulled into the parking lot. I told the officer that there was no harm done and that both of the boys had been arguing about Iraq. He just laughed and walked into the convenience store. I climbed into my car and pulled out of the parking lot.

I got to thinking on my way home. At the age of fourteen, I had no idea of the difference between a liberal and a conservative. I am sure none of my friends did, either. Of course, we knew what [NASTY WORD], [EVEN NASTIER WORDS], [NASTY WORDS], and [NASTY WORD] YOU meant, but we never used them. This had nothing to do with being good little boys and everything to do with fear and common sense. We were convinced that if our parents didn’t hear such language, a neighbor would. During the days of my youth, this amounted to the same thing and resulted in double punishment. The neighbors had unlimited delegated authority to smack the daylights out of us and our parents would do it again when we arrived home.

Not only have the discipline standards broken down, but also the right to debate over political matters. I distinctly remember my parents and others having disagreements over government policies. Patriotism did not require blind agreement to whatever the President of the United States said. War was a serious issue at that time because my dad and the dads of everyone I knew had recently returned from combat in WWII. These were the lucky ones. I had several friends whose dads never came back. In 1950, the Korean War erupted; the Pentagon began shipping many dads to Korea, and everyone knew that some of them would not return as well.

The point is that there was substantial disagreement over Korea. Sometimes it reverberated loud and clear, not only in the nation’s capital but also throughout the communities of the average Mr. and Mrs. America. No one accused the dissenters of being cowards or traitors. This is not the case in today’s environment, especially since 9/11.

The civility factor has eroded steadily over the past two decades. Intellectual debate has been one of the casualties of the erosion. Today you’re either with us or against us: a conservative or a liberal. We look at those in opposition as something similar to a plague. At the very least we call them [NASTY WORD], [EVEN NASTIER WORDS], [NASTY WORDS], and some others I dare not use because my daughter does not like it when I cuss. We rant and rave at home. It should be no mystery that our kids notice this, and do likewise. Only, they do it, to the point of punching each other, in front of convenience stores. I think we should get a grip, maybe take a Valium or two.

For the record, I was against going into Iraq. Once our President made the decision to do so, however, the debate was over. It then became a matter of how to best support our troops. I would like them home as soon as possible. As a point of clarification, my opposition to the Iraq invasion had nothing to do with security. My concern was whether the long-term outcome would be worth the reputation risk to the United States.

I also think the Bush Administration did, and continues to do, a lousy job at keeping us home folks realistically informed. I have yet to see them show proof as to reality relative to their view. Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney have more of a polarizing affect on the situation than a unifying one. George Bush, at least in my opinion, seems just a tad too chummy with Jesus to make me comfortable.

I think the world is better off without Suddam Hussein. I think that the Iraqi people are much better off than when he was in power. I also think the situation is much more in control than the mainstream media reports, but I guess this depends on whether we listen to people who are there or who have been there, including the troops on the ground. They are optimistic and up beat but we would never know it to listen to the mainstream media.

No one can answer the question of whether the risk involved with military action has been justified by the outcome. This is because we have no idea of the ultimate outcome. In other words, when it is all said and done and our troops are home, will Iraq be a democracy in the sense that we intended or will it be another Iranian-type democracy, where the people elect a president but the religious powers run the country. I hope that it will be the former but only time will tell.

Finally, I think it is great that 14-year olds involve themselves in the heat of the battle. I just wish they would do it using techniques that are more diplomatic. By the way, if anyone disagrees with my position on the Iraqi situation, then [NASTY WORD] YOU!

Joseph Walther is a freelance writer. Contact him by clicking on the CONTACT ME link above or email him at TheTrueFacts@comcast.net